New Work to BACC

I took a trip to Bigfork today to drop off some new work for the Christmas season.

I created three new smaller pieces (5″ x 7″) since those seem to sell quickly. This one is called Summer Dreams.

This one is Solitude.

And the last one is Autumn Dreams.

I also took this much larger one (18″ x 24″) called Overlook.

This water lily piece that is called Tranquility (12″ x 12″).

And this piece which is called The Trail of the Cedars (18.5″ x 15.25″).

Here’s a close up of the stitching.

So if you’re in the area and you’re looking for some great gifts, check out BACC in Bigfork, MT.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are all staying safe and have a great holiday season!

Printed Roses on Felt

I showed you this print a couple of weeks ago.

Printed Roses on Felt

It was printed on pre felt so I felted it down and then free motion stitched around the roses and stitched in some leaves.

Roses Complete

Here’s the completed piece. I can’t decide how I should “frame” or present it. I kind of like the wavy edges and I think I might attach it to another piece of felt or fabric or on to a canvas. Haven’t found the right color yet though.

Roses Complete Close Up

Here’s a little closer view of the stitching. Have a great weekend!

Botanical Series

I finished the last three of my botanical series mixed media pieces. I may make a few more of these, I haven’t decided yet. I guess if they sell quickly, I’ll make more!

Botanical Series - Mountain PinkThis is the Mountain Pink.

Botanical Series - Mountain Pink - Close UpAnd a closer view. I didn’t have any more of the plain rusty wire so I used barbed wire instead. I stitched it down to the top layer and then glued everything down with gel medium.

Botanical Series - BerriesHere’s Berries.

Botanical Series - Berries - Close UpAnd a close up.

Botanical Series - Lupine And the final one is Lupine.

Botanical Series - Lupine - Close UpA bit closer.

Botanical Series Here is the entire set together. I guess I’ll have to find some flowers that aren’t purple or red for the next set. These will be going into the store next week.

Free Motion Stitching

I’ve been working on a few more mixed media pieces like this one. I have sketched several Montana wild flowers that I use for inspiration when I free motion stitch them on the machine.

Mountain PinkFirst I fuse a piece of interfacing to the back of a hand dyed piece of fabric. Then I free motion machine stitch the flower. Afterwards, I paint these with Inktense pencils and water. This first one is a mountain pink.

LupinesThis is a lupine. There is a stray piece of thread to the right side of the photo. Sorry – I never see those until I get the photo on the computer.

BerriesThis last one is from a sketch I did while I was in LaConner, Wa. So now I need to paint these with gel medium, cut them to size and add them to the wood backgrounds. I’ll show you how they look when they are finished. I did make a few more felted coffee cuffs last week. You can see them on The Purple Pomegranate blog if you’d like.

 

 

 

Mixed Media Piece for Third Quarter Challenge

Over at the Felting and Fiber Studio, Karen had challenged us to make a mixed media piece that included something fiber, something metal and something in the paint variety. This is definitely not the way I usually work but I had started a stitched piece that I thought would work. I showed you the stitched part last week. It was free motion machine stitched on to a painted fabric background. After it was stitched, I colored in the flowers with Inktense pencils and then wet them down with a water brush to simulate water colors.

Trying WashersThen I started working out how I would add metal. I tried a variety of rusty metal washers but I didn’t really like how they looked. It just looked like I was sticking them on there because I had to add metal.

Adding Rusty WireI liked the addition of this rusty metal wire better. I guess it had a more organic feel to it.

Third Quarter Mixed Media Challenge PieceThen I painted the fabric with a slightly watered down Golden gel medium. I also painted a couple of layers of the gel medium on the wood too. Once that had dried. I use the gel medium straight from the jar (no water added) to glue the fabric to the wood. You can see that the red fabric bled a little bit onto the green background but that didn’t bother me. It took a couple of days to completely dry,

Close up Indian PaintbrushI then stitched the metal piece down to the fabric to hold it in place. I’m happy with the results and I am planning on doing a series of Montana wildflowers like this piece. I also started a second mixed media piece which I’ll show you soon. Thanks Karen – this was a fun challenge!