Discharging Fabric with Paste and Bleach

My local art group met last week and we did some discharging on fabric in my garage. Luckily, we have a new heater in the garage because it has gotten pretty cold here.

We set up with a variety of resists and mixed bleach with water for dipping and for spraying. I don’t have any photos of the dipped cloth but Paula made a really nice shibori piece wrapped around a piece of PVC pipe. Everyone had different kinds of black and colored fabric and some worked great while others not as well. We had to increase our bleach amount in the spray bottles to get good results.

Here are a couple of pieces of cloth that have items placed on the cloth and then were spayed with bleach water.

We used stencils and screens with thickened bleach and discharge paste as well. The silk scarf on the right is mine. It took forever to do and the results were so so. Not really worth the effort.

Here’s Deb spraying her green piece with the keys. After the pieces are bleached as much as you want, then you put them into a solution of Bleach Stop and water to soak. After that you rinse in clean water. Afterwards, it is best to wash the fabric in the washing machine. Hopefully, I will be able to show more of the results after our next meeting.

And here’s a few of the results. Sorry Paula, I didn’t realize your eyes were closed but the fabric looks great!

Getting Ready

It will soon be time again for my art group’s annual retreat. So in preparation, Deb and I started the process for deconstructed screen printing. Deb will be writing a longer post about this over on the Felting and Fiber Studio in September so I won’t show you very many photos but this will give you a taste of what we did this morning.

We had seven screens to cover with dye and a bunch of different things to create texture in the screens. We worked outside since the process is kind of messy.

And here’s some of the screens drying. I am looking forward to how these screens will print. It is always a surprise with deconstructed screen printing as it has a mind of its own.

And while we were outside, I spotted these Columbine leaves turning colors. I love the color combination here. I can always find something inspirational in nature.

Hope you have a good weekend and thanks for stopping by.

 

Screen Preparations

I mixed up some print paste today to prepare some screens for screen printing next week. Our group is having our annual art retreat and we’re planning to do some deconstructed screen printing. So I completed the first step so it could dry and be ready.

This screen was placed over a gridded packing material. I used a variety of blue and blue green dye.

Then I used red and yellow dye over a textured shelf liner.

The last screen was created over plastic wrap with blue and red to create a variety of colors.

I had leftover dye on the shelf liner, packing material and plastic wrap. So I printed some papers. These will make good papers for collage or for layering further paint or dye on top. I am looking forward to seeing the screen printing results next weekend.

More Color Magnet Fabric

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday when I posted and obviously wrote a very poor explanation of Color Magnet. You can read more about it on Dharma Trading, they have a few videos too. The Color Magnet is this really gooey stuff that you can apply to undyed fabric through a silk screen, stencil or stamp. I used silk screens. The fish I posted about yesterday was screened on and then dry dye powder was added to the wet Color Magnet.

Color Magnet Leaves

All of these were screened on. The cotton fabric was then dyed with fiber reactive dyes and soda ash. So the leaves above were where the Color Magnet was screened on and let dry. Then I put the fabric in a baggie with green dye and the color magnet attracts more dye than the regular cotton so the leaves are a darker green than the background. Kind of neat.

Color Magnet Marbles

This was a screen that was originally a photo of marbles. It’s a little hard to see due to the lighter gold color.

Color Magnet Peeling Paint

This last piece of cotton was dyed with turquoise. It worked really well. This screen was a paper laminated screen that I made several years ago.

Color Magnet Wool

And of course I needed to try the product out on wool. The Color Magnet says that it works with all types of dye so I thought it would work the same with the acid dyes. I screen printed the Color Magnet on a piece of white commercial wool and let it dry. Then I put the wool in a “Cabernet” colored dye pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes. The lighter areas are where the Color Magnet was applied. So it worked more like a resist instead of attracting more dye. I think the areas that are mid value were where the Color Magnet was applied but not as thick. Needless to say, it didn’t work as advertised but I really like the results. The varying values give the piece a lot of depth.

So I hope that gives a little bit better explanation of using Color Magnet. It seems to work best on cotton fabric with fiber reactive dyes. Let me know if you give it a try!

Color Magnet Experiments

Last week, my local group got together and tried out Color Magnet. It is supposed to attract dye. I only got one piece dyed. This one was dry dye sprinkled on to wet Color Magnet after I had screened it on to cotton fabric. This would have worked better if I had soaked the fabric in soda ash first.

Color Magnet Fish

But it did work. I have some other pieces that are dyeing now so I’ll have to show you later. Have a good weekend.