A Couple More Samples

I have been working on these leaves for several weeks now. They involved multiple layers of paint and acrylic mediums.

I used the shapes of real leaves to create these. They are about the thickness of leaves and almost feel like real leaves when they are fresh. If you look closely at the photo on the right, you will see I started with newspaper.

Here’s another rock study. I had a really hard time taking a photo of this. It has multiple layers of paint, acrylic media and then colored pencil. The camera couldn’t seem to focus on it at all. Weird. I had hoped to get a lot more done today but we were dealing with snow!

We got nearly 8 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. We usually have snow starting in late November, this is a bit early for a big dump like this. And we’re expecting it to keep snowing until Monday. Anyone want to come help shovel?

Advertisements

Rock Studies

As promised, I worked on rock studies this week. I found a variety of rocks including some semi-precious stones.

Here are a couple of studies looking at line and value.

And a color study. I suddenly remembered that I have the names of each type of rock somewhere and I need to add that to my documentation.

Here are a couple of texture studies. I have a few more of these in the works.

And here is what I think that Montana river rock would look like as cobble stone. It is interesting what you can come up with when you examine things closely!

Sketches and Color Finding

I’m still trying to make time to sketch a bit every day. The every day thing isn’t working out but I am getting two or three done per week. Also still practicing the color finding with colored pencils.

This is a sketch of a wild lupine in standard pencil and the leaf with the colored pencil beside it. Greens are still really hard to do.

Here’s a different green of the snow on the mountain leaf. The sketch was done with water soluble graphite pencils. This one took several days to complete as I only have 10 or 15 minutes in the morning before I go to work.

Here’s a dried up leaf that I did this morning with watercolors and permanent pen. I had more time today to try to get a bit more detail into the sketch. I had a bunch of dried leaves but decided to start with just one.

 

Wild Clematis

I am seeing lots of wild clematis on my morning walks. I took a bunch of photos and decided to do a watercolor sketch in my sketchbook.

The leaves don’t really look like this in the wild, mainly you just see the flowers and vines. But it needed some leaves so I just added them in from a different photo.

Another item of note, we finished our ski chair this afternoon. I will be posting about it soon over on the Felting and Fiber Studio so you can see the finished chair and hopefully see it in its location for the summer before the auction. Have a great weekend!

Completed Water Lily

I finished the colored pencil drawing of the water lily. This is a scanned in version and the colors are a bit off but you get the idea.

colored-pencil-water-lily-2

I really like the end result and I finally found a way to use colored pencils where the outcome was good. It takes a long time but the blending of the colors is the definite key. We went to Louise’s house again to make more leaves for our ski chair. We have a lot more to do and now I have 7 more leaves to stitch with a felt covering. Hopefully, the needle breakage will be less than the last set. Have a good weekend.