Gelli Printing

I had two people over today so that they could learn how to use a Gelli Plate for printing. I showed a bunch of different techniques to try. One of them printed on paper mainly with stencils and the other mainly on fabric. I of course forgot completely to take any photos while they were here or of their work. But I did take a few photos of some new techniques that I tried.

These first three are done with a combination of alcohol inks and paint. I did more than these but these are my favorites. The alcohol inks dry very quickly and give a different look than the paint alone. Thanks to my friend Paula for letting me borrow her equipment and inks to try this out.

Then I wanted to try using magazine photos for a resist on the Gelli plate. The first one on the left is a failed one but I kind of liked it. It took me a while to get this one figured out. It wouldn’t work with cheap paint. It worked best with Golden liquid paint. The magazine type also makes a big difference too. I had a very poor selection of magazines and even tried a few calendar photos. The bear and the man holding the gun did work. Now that I have figured this out, I’m not sure how I would use these in artwork as I seldom use figures. But I’ll see if I can use them for something.

Then I did several that look kind of like this only in different colors. These are for backgrounds and I do use these in collages quite a bit. If you’re interested in trying Gelli plate printing there are tons of YouTube videos available that explain the process. You can make your own plate but I find the “real” ones well worth the money as they print much better than the homemade ones. It’s a lot of fun and if you give it a try, I’d love to see your results.

Advertisements

More Stamps and a Drawing

I have been traveling over the last week so haven’t gotten much done. But before I left, I did carve a few more stamps. I finished up the birch one today but haven’t gotten to print with any of these yet.

Here’s the stamps. The ones on the left are ogee shaped. The are meant to be a repeating pattern that fit together. The one on the right is a birch tree from a sketch I did several years ago.

I tested the ogee stamps with an ink pad in my sketch book. the two on the bottom are actually a stencil I created. I didn’t have time to test the birch one yet.

While I was riding in the car to Philadelphia, I did a small sketch in my travel sketchbook. I used markers first for the background colors of the leaf and then I added in the details with colored pencils. I really like this method because the markers cover the white of the paper and you don’t have to do so many layers with the colored pencil to cover the white background. I don’t care for how the shadow turned out but since it was an experiment, I am not going to spend much time worrying about that. I will definitely being trying this technique again.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Art Scrap Cards and More Stamps

I have gotten a bit behind schedule with my class homework but had a full day today to work. So I glued my collages that I have started and carved a couple of stamps. I made these “Art Scrap Cards” last week but didn’t get a chance to show you. These are made from gelatin plate prints and acrylic skins.


We are going to sell these cards (my art group) with a donation of a portion of the proceeds going to the Humane Society. We’ll see how that goes. We’re using “scraps” from other projects to create the cards.

And here’s a couple more stamps I carved today. The leaf one is to go with my two tree stamps. The bark is mainly for texture and I’m looking forward to printing with these. Perhaps I will get time for a printing session next week. Have a good weekend.

Valentine’s Cards

I needed to make a Valentine’s card for hubby and so I decided to make a bunch at once. Then I can sell the rest at the store. And they will work for just “love” cards and not just Valentine’s so hopefully they will sell year round.

Making Cards

I didn’t get any photos of the gelatin plate printing process. I was in such a hurry to get the cards done that not many photos got taken. But I made several masks of hearts with the hot glue gun. Then I printed away with a variety of reds, pinks, whites and purples. The metallic paint makes it a little hard to get good photos, sorry.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

So here they all are and hope your Valentine’s Day was sweet!

Water Lily Stencils

I made another stencil today. This one is of a water lily. I got the design from a photo I took at the Botanical Gardens in NYC. I turned the photo into a black and white rendition and played around a bit with it in Photoshop. Then I used it to design this stencil.

Water Lilly Stencils

I made the stencil in two parts so it would be easier to use two different colors. I had some previously screen printed paper from a session of deconstructed screen printing. So I used that for the background.

Water Lily Stencil in My Sketch Book

And here’s my rendition of a water lily. I liked how it came out on the background as the blue tended to affect the white paint and give it more depth. So I cut it to fit into my sketch book and added it to a page that was already colored in my sketch book. It’s like I planned it 🙂