Watercolor Experiments Continue

I am still experimenting with watercolors and seeing if I can create more abstract landscapes. I am still working small and about half of the experiments end up being acceptable. Some are still pretty ugly but I am learning. Definitely, less is more. And I have to learn when to stop. Less is more.

Here are three that were not as I had envisioned. But they’re OK.

These three are better. The one in the middle is an eco print that has been enhanced with watercolor and acrylics.

These two are my favorite ones from today. These are more abstract and not as overworked. I will be turning most of these into greeting cards as they are all small (5″ x 7″ range). Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend.

Paint Party

Our group got together last week and did some of the experimental painting techniques that I have been trying out.

Everybody got right to work and created some “master pieces”.

These are the pieces as they are drying. Everybody, even with experimental kind of methods, has a different look to their work. Next time we meet, we are going to work further into some of these pieces to finish them. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Here is one of mine after I worked into it. The piece on the left is what I started with after letting the watercolors dry. The piece on the left is after working into the painting to give it a bit more definition in places. It’s fun to figure out what needs to be added and when to stop. That’s probably the hardest part for me 🙂

Winter Berries

I’m still playing with negative space painting. This was an experiment on a piece of screen printed paper that I had in my stash. It looked very organic to start with so I added some darkness behind the berries and leaves. It has both acrylic and water color paint and the paper was a “mixed media” paper that I have never really liked. And after working on it again, it has reaffirmed that I should never get this type of paper again. The paper feels almost like plastic and has a raised pattern on the surface that is hard to cover. I guess it should have gesso on it to start but since it was already printed, I just went over top of what was there. It is still going to take more practice to really get used to negative space painting. I feel the need to plan more as I have a tendency to get lost in the more intricate details. I painted a second landscape but it is really hideous at the moment and I have to work on it more to see if it is even salvageable.

And the rest of the day was spent packing up to go to my class soon. I have more stuff every time we go. Luckily, there are only 2 sessions left. Otherwise, we might have to rent a U Haul truck to get everything to class.

Tree Fragment Series

I created the first two of these “Tree Fragments” quite a while ago and then they just hung around the studio being UFO’s. I was invited to include some of my work in the “Uncommon Threads” exhibit at the Bigfork Cultural Arts Center. It is the same time as the exhibit for Whitefish Gallery Nights that I posted about here. So I needed different work for the Bigfork show. I decided to create one more piece to make this a series. I have created a post about that piece over on The Felting and Fiber Studio which will publish on August 13th. But I will show you the other two pieces here.

This first one is called “Chemo Leaves”. I used a rust printed background and covered a 12″ x 12″ canvas. This pattern was created from the curtains when my husband was taking chemotherapy several years ago. This is a combination of printed, screen printed and machine stitched felt as well as ice dyed cotton fabric.

The second piece is called Aspen Leaves and is created from printed and stenciled felt, iced dyed cotton fabric and machine stitched and painted silk. The background is an eco printed piece from my friend Paula. Thanks Paula!

I tried to fit these into some frames but it didn’t work. So I think they will stay unframed. Now I just need to finish up the backs and put on a hanger.

Tyvek Texture Samples

I showed you one of the Tyvek texture samples while it was wet last week. Today I added some oil paint stick highlights.

The photo on the left is before the oil paint stick application. As you can see, the black is really shiny because I used gloss gels mixed with acrylic paints. I was trying a variety of mediums with these tyvek samples so that I could see which worked best. On the right, I have added some matte oil paint sticks to the background to cut the shine. I also added more black to the Tyvek.

And the same with this one. I added a bit of matte blue to cut the shine and then added black oil paint stick to the ridges and the edges of the tyvek. The black definitely helps to integrate the tyvek into the piece more.

This one is definitely not my favorite. It looked better in the “solarized” photo last week. I added two colors of blue and gold oil paint sticks to this one. Bleh.

This is my favorite one. I just added a bit of black to this one. It kind of reminds me of butterfly wings.

This one has a bit different technique and is still wet. I painted the background first instead of adding paint to the medium as I did with the others above. I then applied clear gel gloss very thickly. It is supposed to dry clear but still isn’t completely dry. The thicker areas are still white. I’m not sure it will ever be completely clear but I am going to leave it for a while to see if it will clear up.

Here’s a collage I created out of some of my recent gelatin plate prints with alcohol inks.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.