I finished stitching the stump rings piece that I showed the design work last week. It seems a little busy to me but I am leaving it alone for now. I really like how the colors shift into the next and the overall look from a distance. I just don’t care for it up close.
Here it is with cropping. Somehow I ended up with the center of the spirals too close to the center of the piece. The camera has a hard time capturing the sheer fabric and the shift in colors.
Now on to my machine stitch applique piece.
Last week I showed you the beginnings of my stump ring applique piece here. This week I have been working further on the stitching design and some stitch samples to make up my mind about where to go from here.
Here you can see some of the work in my studio journal in figuring out the design and color scheme.
I then worked some different stitch design ideas on paper to see what I might think will work best. I decided I would try four different stitch samples to try out the stitches, weight and color of thread.
Here are the stitch samples. They still have the basting stitches in so you have to ignore those.
I decided I was going with couching and french knots for the final piece. I will also be doing shadow applique where possible with tiny stitches that won’t show much. I want the emphasis to be on the lines of stitching and the green french knots that remind me of lichen or moss.
Now to start on stitching the final piece. I did begin the shadow applique but it is really hard to see so I didn’t try and take a photo. I will show you the progress next week. Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!
I am back from my Level 3 Stitch class. The class was great although the return trip was a bit of a struggle due to weather. We sat for two hours on one of the passes due to snow and crazy drivers. But we made it safe and sound.
I started this applique piece in class. It’s based on shapes and rings from stump photos. I have a bunch of those types of photos and this isn’t really one stump, it’s a combination of several. This has been basted down but I haven’t started stitching yet. I have to work out where I want the lines of stitching to go, what color and size of threads to use and what hand stitches to use. Lots of decisions yet before I jump in and start stitching. Hopefully, by next week, I will have made some progress.
Have a great weekend!
I told you last week that you had seen the last of the color studies. But I lied.
Here’s one more. I didn’t particularly like my first orange and blue study so I did another one. This has a background fabric of silk noil covered with silk organza. You can’t see it here but I got the pattern of stitching from the pattern of dye on the silk organza. I used stem stitch and did three rows to give it more weight. I was considering filling the blue shape completely in with stem stitch but I like the balance of blue to orange at this point so I think it’s done. So perhaps this is the last one, maybe…
I have come to the end of the color studies and I’m getting ready to go back to session two of my Level 3 Stitch class soon.
This is a take off on a sample that Antje sent me a photo of that she had created. Thanks for the idea Antje. I think mine doesn’t quite measure up to yours. This looks way too busy to me. But maybe I should have just kept adding more stitching. Plus I can’t stitch straight even using automatic stitching. Perhaps that is why I prefer more organic patterns. I don’t have to worry about it being straight.
Here’s a new set of thread that arrive today. I bought it with Christmas money from my mom. This is #12 weight Sulky cotton thread in the “first 80 colors”. It includes some multi color “blendable” threads as well. There are empty spaces in the box, oh my! Now I feel like I need to buy some more colors to fill in the blanks.
I tried them out on this color study. And again, I can’t seem to keep the machine going straight. But the thread is nice and heavy and really shows up well. I think this piece would have been better if I hadn’t used all 12 weight thread but thrown in some 40 weight so that it would give a contrast in line.
Thanks for stopping by and have a nice weekend!