Playing with Plaid

This week for Level 3 Art and Design homework I have been playing with plaid. I started by finding some examples online and then doing a “copy” of that style of plaid. Then I started branching out a little.

Here are some of my plaid samples. They are a combination of paint and markers. The ones towards the left and top are less formal plaid styles and were fun to do. I’m not all that good at doing really even lines and symmetrical work. I like less symmetrical.

Then I decided to make a little concertina book in plaid. I used tape to mask off the white paper first and then added plaid over top of the tape in blues and greens. Then I removed the tape and folded the concertina book. The book is 4.5″ x 3″ made from a 9″ x 12″ page. Not sure what I’ll do with it but I like it.

And here are two more collages using complementary painted pages. I thought I would try a little weaving. So it definitely fits in with the plaid theme.

I was going to use both of these woven pieces on one collage but it was way too busy so I did two. Hope you have a good weekend and thanks for stopping by!

Store Makeover and Monochromatic Collage

This week I and a team of elves repainted the entire store and did a store makeover. It was tons of work and isn’t quite finished as we haven’t hung all the artwork back up on the walls. If you’d like to see before and after photos as well as in process photos, check out our Instagram posts for the week. The post that has a little square up in the right hand corner is when we were finished and has three photos to see. Follow us on Instagram to see more photos of what’s happening at The Purple Pomegranate.

I still have more collages to make so now that I have finished the exhaustive makeover, I had a little time to make another collage. This one is a monochromatic color scheme, still using squares, lines and rectangles. I was cutting off the edges from the painted notebook papers and decided to make use of the edges.

I started gluing the strips down with a variety of light to dark values in my yellow oxide color.

Once I had them glued across the page, I decided to add in a few more pieces from each side. I forgot to take a photo when these got completely glued down.

I decided I needed a bit more of a focal point so I thought I would add in some small squares. I tried them in different combinations and decided on the one on the far right.

And here’s the finished piece. Next up is a monochromatic scheme but adding a very small amount of the complementary color. So another yellow oxide but it will have a touch of blue violet.




More Collages

I have two more collages finished. These are the chromatic grays with their matching saturated colors. I did these in the same kind of design to see the differences in using higher values as compared to the lower values.

This is the high value collage. These are loosely based on Piet Mondrian style paintings. Gluing all these little pieces is loads of fun and takes an inordinate amount of time.

And here is the low value one. I had to paint another background for this one as I didn’t have enough of the dark for a background piece. It looks straight black but it has lots of Phthalo Blue in it too. I found the lower value one harder to arrange as it didn’t seem to have as much contrast as the higher value one.

Next I need to do a monochromatic collage with tints and shades painted papers as well as another one with the same tints and shades but adding a tiny amount of the complement. Then I think I am finished with the assigned collages.


Low Value Saturated Color Collage

I am continuing to work on my homework for Level 3 Art and Design. Today I worked on another collage from painted pages that I made while in class. These are the low value saturated colors. I showed you the collage with the low value chromatic grays before.

Here it is in my notebook. The colors that I used were Cobalt Turquoise, Ultramarine Blue and Phthalo Blue Green Shade combined with grays of the same value.

And here is the collage I made today with the pure colors. We are only supposed to use lines, squares and rectangles in these collages and the colors are limited. It is hard to make them look interesting. Next I have to do a collage with the saturated colors and the chromatic grays in one piece, both in the high value and the low value. That will at least give me more to work with in regards to different colors.

Have a good weekend! If you’re in the area, stop by at Whitefish Mountain Resort on Saturday afternoon for the SNOW Bus Brewfest, lots of fun, brews and all for a good cause. See you there!

Big Ski Chair Affair

We have been working on our chair over the last several weeks. Today we met to finish the primer coat of paint and to work out a schedule on what’s to be done next.

Here’s the chair with its primer coat. We have ordered foam for the cushions but it hasn’t arrived yet. We are still have to paint the chair, make cushions with eco printed felt, make more leaves and then attach the leaves. We are also going to make a felt rock to go under the bench which hasn’t been started yet. So still quite a bit to do yet.

But look how wonderful the eco printed felt looks on the bench! Plus Paula made some great pillows. And if you look at the right side of the photo, Louise is holding up some leaves that will be meandering up that side with various vines wrapped around the chair. So we’re well on our way. It’s an interesting process figuring out how we’re going to deal with different issues that arise on the structure of the chair. We’re having fun!